Chicken Biryani - Dum Method
Chicken biryani is a favorite of practically every Indian household. A straight forward layered dish which combines rich flavors of succulent chicken with delicious spices. Once you try this dish, you will be adding it to your weekly rotation!
Ingredients - Chicken Marinade
- 2 Lbs - Chicken thighs and drumsticks mixed
- 1 - Large red onion, chopped thin
- 1/2 Cup - Fried onions, homemade or store bought
- 1 TSP - Saffron (combine with 1 cup water)
- 1 Cup - Yogurt (combine with 1 cup water)
- 1 TBSP - Coriander powder
- 1 TBSP - Red chili powder
- 2 TBSP - Ginger garlic paste
- 1 TBSP - Salt
Ingredients - Rice
- 4 Cups - Basmati rice
- 1/2” - Cinnamon stick
- 4 - Green cardamom pods
- 1 TSP - Cumin seed
- 3-4 TBSP - Ghee or butter or neutral oil
- In a bowl mix chicken, red onion, fried onion, coriander powder, salt, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, 1/2 cup of yogurt mixture and 1/2 cup of saffron water. Cover and place in fridge for 1 - 24 hrs.
- Rinse dry rice thoroughly to remove starch.
- Heat ghee in a large, heavy bottom pot.
- Add cumin seeds, green cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Saute for ~30 seconds till fragrant.
- Add washed rice and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Add six cups of cold water and bring to a light simmer. Reduce heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 12 minutes or until rice is about 80% cooked.
- Cook the chicken and onions in a separate pan to an internal temp of 135F.
- Remove the rice and chicken from heat.
- Remove rice from pot and set aside.
- Clean pot and bring to low heat. Add butter.
- Follow the secret biryani flavor assembly diagram.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt mixture and saffron water on top. Cook on low for 15-20 mins more.